The earliest record of the Parish of Crapaud is found in an account in the PEI Register of August 30, 1825. The account records the news that a small chapel is to be built by subscription by the residents of Crapaud and its neighbourhood. The Chapel was to be for the use of Christians of all persuasions – the established church (The Church of England) to have preference.
Construction for the English Church in Crapaud began in 1841. This was made possible by the Countess of Westmorland who was dubbed “its Mother”. She gave 60 acres of land to the parish, a gift of ₤200, and outfitted the Sanctuary with Communion vessels, church linens and hangings and service books.. Other donors included; The Society for Propagation of the Gospel made a grant of ₤150.
In 1901 the cornerstone for this current place of worship was laid and the first service was held in the new church in 1902. This building was designed by the famed Island architect, William Critchlow Harris and is an example of his attention to beauty, function, and acoustics. Building churches became both a specialty and a passion for Harris. He drew upon the Victorian Gothic revival but went on to develop his own distinctive style which enabled him to design churches pleasing to the soul, mind, heart and ear. An amateur violinist, Harris regarded his churches as large musical instruments where the structure was to enable all participants and instruments to be heard and thus enhance the worship experience.
The Parish came to be known as “The Parish of St. John the Evangelist” and included St. Thomas’ Church in Long Creek and St. Elizabeth’s Church in Springfield.
Some of the early rectors included; Rev. Herbert Reid (1843), Rev. D.B. Parnther (1854), Rev. H. Sterns (1869), Rev. H. Sargent (1869). On a few occasions the church was under the care of the Archdeacon until a successive rector was appointed.
The long and illustrious life of the church was made possible because of the dedication of the parishioners who have always remained engaged in its operations and viability.